Thursday, January 5, 2012

No Fail Pound Cake

Pound cake.  So simple.  So good.  So easily eaten mostly by a seven month pregnant lady.

I went to the doctor today for my routine check-up.  I stepped on the scale.  Then I quickly stepped off the scale.  My husband says, "What did it say"?  I don't care if he knows.  But I'd rather not know.  The nurse chimes in, "Only five pounds in the last month... that's good".  I say, "Is it?".... (sarcasm... I'm pretty sure she didn't get it...)  Then she says, "You know.... you have to eat during the holidays.... all that good food." 

Right.  I get that.  But I didn't plan on being Shamu's twin and feeling like a beached whale.

OK, that is a little extreme.  But... really.... I hate the gaining weight part.

But you know what I do love?  I SERIOUSLY do love eating.  It's all my fault.

So, when I made this, like I've made it many times before, I thought it would last a few days and we would take a slice here and there for a sweet taste, etc.  But by the time it baked and sat around for one day, I had demolished it down to about a three inch slice.  I actually had the audacity to say to my husband when he came home from work, "You better eat that or I'm throwing it away."  I mean.... really?  Did it really matter at that point???

But it's good... and it's simple... and it's the perfect "not-too-sweet" to have around.

I think it's a pretty popular recipe similar to others I've seen online.  But here is the recipe anyway.

Make it.  But I would advise sharing it....  :)


Ingredients:

1/2 lb butter
1 3/4 cup sugar
5 eggs
2 cups cake flour
1 tsp vanilla

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2.  Cream butter slowly.

3.  Add sugar and continue beating at low speed for 10 minutes.

4.  Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.

5.  Add flour and flavoring.  Mix thoroughly.

6.  Turn temperature down to 300 degrees when you put cake in oven.

Bake for 1 hour and 15 min.  (possibly a few minutes shorter.... check with toothpick!)






Pin It!

No comments: