Monday, January 23, 2012

Hard Boiled Eggs

Hard boiled eggs... really? 

Yes, really. 

A few weeks ago I had a craving for deviled eggs and every time I went to boil my eggs I kept boiling them either too long or not long enough and was so frustrated. 

Since when could I not boil a bloomin' egg?  I've boiled eggs plenty of times before.

But I noticed I wasn't boiling eggs the way other people perfectly boiled their eggs.  So, onto the internet I went to learn how to boil the perfect "hard" boiled egg.

Apparently I'm not the only one who has had this problem.  There are tons of instructions out there for soft, medium, and hard cooked eggs.  

And here is the perfect way to boil an hard boiled egg.

1.  Bring your eggs to room temperature before cooking.

2.  Gently place the eggs in a single layer in a pan with enough cold water to cover eggs completely.  Approximately one inch of water over eggs.

3.  Over high heat, bring water JUST to a rapid boil.  As soon as the water reaches a rapid boil, remove pan from heat and cover egg pan tightly with a lid. 

4.  Set timer for 17 minutes for large eggs or 20 minutes for jumbo eggs.

5.  After 17 or 20 minutes, remove lid and drain water from the eggs.

6.  Transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice cubes and cold water after the cooking time is over.

7.  Let eggs cool at least 10 minutes in cold water, then drain. 

And then you have perfect, simple, hard boiled eggs. 






Pin It!

1 comment:

Steve @ the black peppercorn said...

I totally hear you! I am comfortable cooking so many different things but hard boiled eggs are the death of me. More than anything it is the peeling that drives me crazy. It seems that every time the white of the egg comes off with the peel. drives me crazy!