Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Swedish Tea Ring - Redux!!!

So, in this household, it's no secret that yeast and I don't get along.  Any recipe that I make with yeast has to be made at least twice.  The first time is a flop with text messages to my husband during the day that say, "it's not rising", "it's too sticky", "it's not getting firm enough", "was I supposed to dissolve it first"?, etc etc etc.  See, my husband can actually tell me more about baking than I can tell myself.  He used to be in the kitchen often when his mother was baking and somehow just saw enough of this and that to give me help when I need it.  So, here is another recipe that had to be made a second time.


The first time that I made the swedish tea ring I couldn't get the dough to rise properly.  This time, I didn't add quite 5 cups of flour... it was more like 5 (scant) cups of flour.  When I combined everything, I started with two cups at once... and then added a cup at a time so I could see how it was combining.  Like I said, not really five full cups of flour.
























When the dough had doubled in size, I punched it down and turned it out on a floured surface.  It really was so much better this time.  Much easier to roll out and work with.  Don't forget... add LOTS of butter.  The more butter you add, the more moist it will be inside.



And LOAD it up with everything that you want.  You can't have too much.  Just ask my thighs....

Form into a circle, seam side down.  Make your cuts on the top of the dough and turn the dough out slightly.  This will make it open up beautifully when baked.

Another thing I learned this time around... it only took about 12-14 minutes to bake.  The recipe calls for 25-30 minutes and it was really dry for me.  I know all ovens are different and this time I basically kept my eye on it until I saw the top browning slightly.  It was a much shorter baking time and it was so much better.





























This typically makes two small rings... and I think I ate a whole one by myself.  This is such a wonderful dessert!!!  So worth the second time around!  ;)

Ingredients:

2 pkgs yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk, scalded
5 cups all purpose flour
melted butter
brown sugar
cinnamon
nuts

Bake at 375 degrees for 12-14 min.  (keep your eye on it)
Pin It!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you and I have the same problems with yeast recipes! I just pulled the honey milk bread loaf out of the oven, and it isn't looking very fantastic ;(

Kim - Liv Life said...

Saw this photo on Foodgawker and just wanted to say that it popped off the page!! My daughter will love these little treats, I would probably have to double it!! Nicely done...

Tina said...

Great job with that! Lovely photos.

Christine said...

After eating nearly the entire thing by myself, for breakfast, snack, lunch, and dinner, I decided I would just buy bigger pants:)

I don't think I ended up cooking mine that long either. I hate dry baked goods.
Glad your feeling better...I think you were sick..

Christine

Janie Lou Roberts said...

I love your page. :). Aunt Janie

Celia said...

Thank you, Aunt Janie! XO