Sunday, January 2, 2011

Mushroom Rice Casserole



You do not have to be a mushroom lover to like this dish.  I speak from experience... I loathe mushrooms.  But in this dish you can hardly taste them.  I guess that actually defeats the purpose of putting them in?  I have no idea.  Maybe it's that they add just the right amount of flavoring to make this dish special.  I'm not going to lie.... this dish is rich... and it uses a whole stick of butter.  But it's sooo yummy and it's one of those dishes that is better as leftovers or even the next day.  Something about it "sitting" seems to make it even better.

This is super quick to make and perfect as a side dish.  Enjoy!  ; )

Ingredients:

1 can french onion soup
1 can beef consume
1 small can of mushrooms (4 oz, pieces and stems)
1 cup of rice
1 stick of butter - melted

Pour all ingredients into a baking dish and stir them together slightly.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until top browns.   

 This is linked to:  Hearth & Soul Hop vol. 29  
Pin It!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I have this recipe too :) It is SUPER delish; I agree! And works as a great potluck dish too!

Christine said...

Oh this looks yummy...and I loathe mushrooms too! So I have officially decided that on my next trip home we should schedule time to cook together. I think it would be fun.

Celia said...

Christine - Yes! It's so funny you mentioned that... I was thinking of you just this past weekend and telling you we need to get together sometime and have a cooking day! I think it would be a lot of fun... or a disaster... which is fun! HA :)

Miriam said...

Great recipe! I'm following you from the H&S hop. I hope you can follow me back at Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Miz Helen said...

Your Mushroom Rice Casserole looks really good. Thank you for sharing you recipe and you have a great week!

The Wise Alternative 918-836-0565 said...

I'm with you...I like the taste mushrooms impart to a dish...but can never get around to eating them. I think "loathe" is an accurate feeling for me too! With that said...I will have to try your dish as I looove anything with rice and french onion.

Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

Christine said...

OK totally done! I am putting you on the schedule! February maybe? I will let you know:)
yay!

Hunger and Thirst said...

How cool that the recipe calls for a stick of butter. The butter makes it possible for your body to absorb all of the great nutrients in the dish. But I'm sure it just plain old tastes great, too. Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

GamecockShan said...

My mom makes a dish very similar to this one... but I have to say, I have started making this one ALL the time. I use margarine instead of butter and I double the mushrooms and WE LOVE IT!! Thanks!